Friday, March 24, 2006

Blessed Are The Peacenicks

Thanks to Serge's A Conservative Blog For Peace for this one -

By Joseph Sobran, from The Wanderer

One of the baneful side effects of the Cold War was to make 'peace' sound like a left-wing cause and to identify conservatism with war....unconstitutional government... always thrives on war. Our real enemies ... not in Baghdad, but in Washington.I have gradually broken my ties with the conservative movement and rediscovered an older conservatism of peace. ...war is the opposite of conservative. It destroys. I got one of the shocks of my life in 1981 when I visited Berlin and walked among some of the preserved buildings, where German civilians had once lived, that had been hit by American bombers.If I can excite even a little horror of war in my fellow conservatives, I will feel that my long career has not been entirely wasted.

To this day, I find it impossible to look back on World War II with pride or pleasure, let alone admiration for the men who wanted it. I do venerate the two great Popes, Pius XI and Pius XII, who saw it coming and pled for peace. They are the true war heroes.

Here..here..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker