Wednesday, July 12, 2006

World Cup Finals - Nation 1, State 0

Another title for this entry could be

Nationalism-1, Capitalism-0

After Italy defeated France in the World Cup, 2006, Roberto Calderoli of Italy's Northern League said Italy had "beaten a team which, in the quest for results, sacrificed its own identity by selecting blacks, Muslims and communists." He's correct. America's sports franchises could learn a lesson from that. It's better to make a team from a place where people live - than it is to make a team from money.

1 Comments:

Blogger Puckpan said...

I'll agree that I don't fully understand the situation in France - because I'm an American - but so are you.

I don't doubt that money can make a team - like the Yankees; or a band like the Backstreet Boys. And these can be winners. I think Calderoli's point is that it doesn't mean as much when they do win. That's personal obviously. What you call "racist" is to Calderoli a deeply felt sense of peoplehood.

I think you can differ and live in the same world. Im pleased with my post.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker